Health Benefits of Peanut Butter: WebMD weighs in. What's your favorite Nut Butter?

I have always been a fan of peanut butter, harkening back to my early years when I ate nothing but PB&Js for days. But I've recently come to view peanut butter (and other nut butters) as a valuable protein source that gives me a mid morning boost, and curbs my late afternoon sweet tooth. Call me crazy, but I think an apple a day is out...and a spoonful (or two) of peanut butter is in! 

When my kids were little, we lunched on peanut butter sandwiches daily - it was just easier to make three of the same thing. Once they were in school, I ditched the sandwiches and switched to various combinations of egg, avocado, and spinach for both breakfast and lunch. These foods just agree with my body, and I love the possibilities. But I recently discovered that a spoonful of peanut butter bridges the gap between breakfast and lunch beautifully. It's a great pick-me-up right before my morning workout, too. I usually add another spoonful of peanut butter in the afternoon once the kids get home from school, when they'll join me for a little protein boost. In fact, our nut butter habits seem to have all but eliminated the sweet tooth monster that tends to attack our household between 4-5pm. 

Given that my kids and I have at least a spoonful of peanut butter a day, I loved coming across this article from WebMD about the benefits of peanut butter. Here's a snippet below, and you can read the whole article here: 


Peanut butter is a concentrated source of nutrition that may offer potential health benefits. One study showed that eating peanuts every day can decrease the overall risk of death by up to 21% – and reduces the occurrence of heart disease by 38%.

Peanut butter is also a good source of copper, a mineral that helps maintain our bone health, immune function, and blood vessels. Some research suggests that getting enough copper in your diet may reduce your risk for osteoporosis and heart disease.


***

I was particularly intrigued about peanut butter as a source of copper. Did you know that?? I've never looked into the ties between copper and lupus, but I found a few articles that may suggest copper as a consideration in immune health. I think I'll explore more. In the meantime, let me know the way you eat your favorite nut butter. 

Comments

Popular Posts