Lupus, Work and Efficiency: A new way to get things done by Batching Tasks!

As I mentioned last week, I am hoping to adopt a few new habits this year in order to make room for a happier and healthier me, at both work and home. (Although lines between the two have blurred over the past year, haven't they?)

You can read my first post in the series here, but keep reading below for Healthy Habit #2: 


#2 - Batching projects and tasks

I've been doing this inadvertently for awhile, but I'd like to start making a real effort to group like-tasks together. By block scheduling my week, I think I'll be more efficient and effective, and it should allow my creative juices to keep flowing, once they're turned on. With the need to fit in a daily nap by 3pm every afternoon to keep lupus at bay, I have to make sure my mornings are productive!

For instance, instead of writing blog posts three separate times a week, I would take one morning to write them all. Same goes for social media posts, product videos, or admin work.  If I'm in the mode of taking product shots, for example, I map out all the shots I'll need for the week, and set aside one day to do them. This can also apply to household stuff - I'd call the insurance company, schedule the repair man, and book my daughter's hair appointment one after the other over the phone, rather than fitting in one a day. 

By batching each categories' tasks into one day, rather than sprinkled throughout the week, I'll be saving the time and energy it takes to switch tasks. Plus, I'm hoping one like-task will just naturally bleed into the next, and I'll build up momentum as I go. Most of all, I'm excited to give it a try, because I would be working outside of my comfort zone. I am a multi-tasker by nature, and I usually prefer bouncing from one thing to another. But the idea of devoting a day to the same group of tasks, and then not revisiting them for several days, is enticing! 

I remember reading about this concept eons ago, when I was asked to read "The Goal" by Eliyahu Goldratt upon becoming a manager at my very first job.  I finished the book, and promptly revamped the way we processed paperwork at that company. It was based on the book's premise of addressing "bottlenecks" in an effort to speed up production and encourage efficiency. I love that almost 25 years later, I'm applying the same concepts to my own little business!

A need for efficiency is so important when you have a chronic illness, especially when in a flare. I found it essential to figure out how best to get the few things done I could with the limited resources (think mobility, energy, clarity) I had. Around this time a few years ago, I blogged about getting things done, lupus style. You can check it out here! 

And check out the best way to quickly accommodate for limited time and energy in a previous post about eliminating the "should" in your vocabulary! 

Comments

Popular Posts