Lupus, Work and Goal Setting: Taking a page from Julia Cameron's "The Artist's Way"

How are those New Year's Resolutions going? 😳

When I started brainstorming what I wanted life and business to look like in 2021, my mind kept gravitating toward establishing healthy habits and routines, rather than concrete goals or objectives. I think we all learned in 2020 how quickly our well thought out plans and projects can be derailed! Over the next few posts, I'll share what I came up with. I'm still deciding what's going to work best for my schedule and be most effective for me creatively. But overall, I think I'm on to something! 

1) Write for a few minutes every morning: 

Thinking along the lines of "Morning Pages" from Julia Cameron (@juliacameronlive) and "The Artist's Way", I like the idea of waking up 15 minutes early to get my thoughts, brainstorms, ideas, worries, plans or whatever else comes to mind down on paper. Cameron proposes writing three full pages of whatever crosses your mind - what I call an uninhibited brain dump.  She more eloquently says: 

"Morning Pages provoke, clarify, comfort, cajole, prioritize and synchronize the day at hand. There is no wrong way to do Morning Pages - they are not high art. They are not even 'writing.' They are about anything and everything that crosses your mind."

This just what I need. I find that as I am working through my daily tasks, half my brain power is going toward projects that are on the back burner - those that I want or need to get to, but haven't yet, and that are in danger of being forgotten. The early morning would be a great time to get all my ideas down on paper, so they're not haunting me throughout the day. I'm also in the process of outlining a second book (Yay!), but I'm not finding time during the day to do it. So morning writing time might be perfect for that. 


More to come!

Comments

Popular Posts