Working with Chronic Illness- check out the great new book by Pink Fortitude's own Holly Bertone!

So excited to announce a new book by friend, fellow patient advocate, and author, Holly Bertone. Her latest book, #1 Amazon bestseller, Thriving in the Workplace with Autoimmune Disease is the first book ever to educate individuals specifically with autoimmune disease on their legal and disability rights in the workplace. 

The book was born out of her personal and painful experience, and lack of resources available specifically for individuals with autoimmune diseases. 

I know first hand how challenging that can be. I recall years ago when I was requesting a medical accommodation for work. I was beyond frustrated with the run-around I was getting from my HR department. They would specify the paperwork needed, and how it should be completed by both me and my doctor, only to change the specs within a few days of me turning it in. Each time we re-visited my accommodation,  I had to complete the same paperwork three or four times before they would approve and grant the accommodated work schedule. It was very stressful and time consuming, and it was a terrible feeling to know that my health and wellness was dependent on the daily whims of the HR department. In fact, when my boss asked how I was feeling, and if there was anything he could do, I told him that the accommodation he and I had devised was working; the paperwork and the process itself was causing me to get sickI would have loved to have had Holly's book as a resource. (It would have helped when I made the difficult decision to work part-time, too. You can read about that here!)

In the book, she walks you through the basics of navigating FMLA, EEO, reasonable accommodations, working with your boss, and then provides much needed resources to help you find that critical balance between taking care of your health and managing your symptoms at work. Check out the book and get your copy here!

Comments

Anonymous said…
Hi Sara
Have you ever made a blog post on lupus and contraceptives? I am new to lupus and I am trying to decide on the right birth control. Any thoughts?
Sara Gorman said…
Thanks for stopping by! Glad you're looking into options. I'm not seeing any online resources to pass along, but I'll keep looking. It's definitely a consideration, so great job getting right to your research!

Popular Posts