Despite Lupus on Kindle...finally!

I'm happy to announce that Despite Lupus is now available on Kindle! Click here, as Amazon says, to start reading Despite Lupus is less than a minute!

Of course, the book is still available in hard copy - on this site and on Amazon.com.

What IS Kindle, you ask? It's Amazon's Wireless Reading Device. It's about the height of a book, although thinner than most, at just 1/3 of an inch thick. It's weight? Only 10.2 ounces, which is lighter than a typical paperback.

Here are just a few of the selling points taken from the description on Amazon's Kindle listing, where you can buy this snazzy little device:

*Books in Under 60 Seconds: Get books delivered wirelessly in less than 60 seconds; no PC required

*3G Wireless: 3G wireless lets you download books right from your Kindle; no annual contracts, no monthly fees, and no hunting for Wi-Fi hotspots

*Global Coverage: Enjoy 3G wireless coverage at home or abroad in over 100 countries. See details. Check wireless coverage map.

*Paper-Like Display: Reads like real paper without glare, even in bright sunlight

*Carry Your Library: Holds up to 1,500 books

*Longer Battery Life: Now read for up to 1 week on a single charge with wireless on, a significant improvement from the previous battery life of 4 days

*Built-In PDF Reader: Your Kindle can now display PDF documents natively. Native PDF support allows you to carry and read all of your personal and professional documents on the go.

*Read-to-Me: With the experimental Text-to-Speech feature, Kindle can read newspapers, magazines, blogs, and books out loud to you, unless the book's rights holder made the feature unavailable

*Large Selection: Over 480,000 books (NOW INCLUDING DESPITE LUPUS!!!) and the largest selection of the most popular books people want to read. For non-U.S. customers, content availability and pricing will vary. Check your country.

*Out-of-Copyright, Pre-1923 Books: Over 1.8 million free, out-of-copyright, pre-1923 books are available to read on Kindle, including titles such as The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, Pride and Prejudice, and Treasure Island. Learn more

*Low Book Prices: New York Times® Best Sellers and new releases from $9.99 (including DL.) When traveling abroad, you can download books wirelessly from the Kindle Store or your Archived Items.

*Free Book Samples: Download and read first chapters for free before you decide to buy


Let me know if you're a Kindle user. I haven't been converted yet...but I could be swayed!

Comments

Anonymous said…
I don't have lupus, but I do have rheumatoid arthritis, which can also have a huge effect on living well. I'm here from Leslie's "Getting Closer to Myself" blog and her email interview with you about your book.

I'm impressed with your can-do attitude about your disease, and I feel pretty sure that your book will be just as useful and uplifting for people with RA as it is for people with lupus. So, I'm buying it for my Kindle.

I got the Kindle at Christmas, a gift from my husband. I'd pretty much stopped reading books because my hands would get so achy and miserable, holding them. As a lifelong, voracious reader, you can imagine how devastating not being able to read was to me. The Kindle was the answer. It's very light, and many, many books are available for it. The price for the books is good, too, although the Kindle itself is fairly expensive. It was a great, thoughtful gift and I love it. I'm back to reading quite a lot.

Also want to say I loved the posts about Darwin the Pug. Dogs ARE smart that way. When they get tired, they rest. Period. No BS. Thanks for pointing that out; sometimes we all need such gentle reminders.

Best to you and yours,
Wren
Sara Gorman said…
Wren - Thanks so much for commenting! So glad you joined the Kindle brigade...I think it's genious for people just like us who have or have had a terrible time holding those books. I remember staring into space while I was sick in bed - not being able to hold a book or magazine because of the weight, size, etc. Plus I didn't want anything resting on my aching chest (which was full of nasty fluid.) I think the Kindle is just a wonderful option, too!

Hope you're able to connect with the book. I've had many people with RA write to me to say that they never knew how similar lupus and RA could be...my hope is that you find the same to be true. Look forward to hearing from you after you "thumb" through the book!

Thanks again.
Unknown said…
Sara,
Though you already know I'm a Kindle user since my husband had asked you if your book was on Kindle (and I told you I purchased your book on Kindle), I thought I'd a couple of Kindle perks to your list:

1. FREE Kindle app for iPhone/iPod Touch. I can read all of my Kindle books on my iPod Touch, so even when I don't have my Kindle with me I can still read!

2. FREE Kindle for PC. I can also read all of my Kindle books on my laptop, so when my husband is reading books on my Kindle, I can still read them too – on my computer!

My Kindle joined my journey to live well with lupus from the very beginning; my parents brought it to me during my first hospital visit – less than two weeks after the diagnosis – so I had plenty to read without even going anywhere. Now, the Kindle literally joins me on my journey because I use the “text to speech” feature and listen to my books while I walk! While the voice is a bit odd, the functionality enabled me to “read” an entire book – just during lunch breaks!

No, I don’t work for Amazon  - but last weekend, I did convince another reader to buy a Kindle; she travels a lot and ends up paying premium price for books at the airport. Thus, $9.99 (or less) is a great price – not to mention it being a lot easier to carry multiple books at once for business trips and vacations!

Thanks for putting your book on Kindle – I appreciate it!

Popular Posts