39 big ones logged for this lupite

Well, I made it. I'm 39 today. Woohoo!

I certainly have a lot to celebrate and be thankful for - a wonderful family, good health, a thriving business that I love (my career coach sister tells me the "love" part is important), and a fabulous agenda for the future. I mean, look at these two - who wouldn't want to wake up to these two smiling faces for years to come?



While it's been a long time since I've thought about lupus and my longevity, I had a chance to do so when I came across a biography about Flannery O'Conner, American novelist and short story writer. She, too, had lupus, but grew up in a time in which the understanding and treatment of the disease wasn't at all what it is today.  In fact, born in 1925, she died just 39 short years later, in 1964, from complications of lupus. So while it may seem a bit macabre to mention her today, on my 39th birthday, I want to celebrate the fact that today, I'm alive and well, and thriving in the face of lupus.  There's nothing more I could ask for than that. Ten years ago, I wasn't sure I was going to make it to my 30th birthday. Today, I have every intention of living to my 100th!

Comments

Tanya said…
Just found your blog and very happy to say congrats on 39! As a newly diagnosed lupite I found myself so appreciative of my birthday. I plan on having at least 70 more! Love your positive attitude.
Sara Gorman said…
Tanya - thanks for commenting! Best wishes for you in your new diagnosis, and I'll look forward to hearing from you again. Take care!
SG

Popular Posts