Something's gotta give

You may have noticed that I was "blog post-free" all of last week (and a few days the week before.) I wish I could say I had pressing matters to attend to. Or that my computer crashed (although we were without Internet access for a day or so.) Or that I was stumped for ideas to blog about (which has never, and if you know me at all, probably will never be the case.) But alas, those things simply didn't happen. What did happen is that I found myself short on time, and with the holidays, and Deirdre, and my naps, something had to give. Blogging on my website simply had to wait.

Years ago, I was struck by an Editor's note in Arthritis Today magazine, written by editor-in-chief Marcy O'Koone. She talked about how many things she had on her to-do list, and how she had every intention (and expectation) to accomplish them all. But as is the case with most of us, sometimes, we just can't get all done. And that's when you have to choose. You have to put on your thinking cap, evaluate the tasks at hand, and do a little prioritizing. I HATE putting off things that I want and plan to accomplish. But when I have to do so (like I did last week), I try and reward myself for a) putting my health ahead of the "euphoria of accomplishment", b) putting my organizational skills to work and prioritzing what I want to do, and c) giving myself permission to weed out the stuff than really can wait, even if I don't want it to.

It felt good to take care of myself. With Thanksgiving travel, late nights with family, and plenty of catching-up upon our return, it would have been easy for me to overdo. But I didn't. And you know what I have to show for it? Not one achy joint. And not one swollen gland.

So thanks for giving me a few days off. I needed it. Now the question is, do you?

Comments

Popular Posts