Selfishly ringing in the new year

While I don't typically make a long list of New Year's Resolutions...I do tend to take a good, hard look at my list of goals and long-term to-do's to see how things are going. I like to reassess at the year's end, so that I can figure out where I'm headed in the coming year.

Of course, it's clear to me that maintaining my present level of good health is paramount going forward, so that's one of my top priorities. It always will be, as far as I'm concerned. I wish I could say it always was...but that's simply not true. Years ago, I had many more pressing issues to contend with (or so I thought.) But, eventually, I wised up, hence, the book, the blog, etc. But actually making the effort to put your health (and yourself) first can be a tough one.

I was recently talking with a girlfriend who has made it a priority to stay in shape during her 2nd pregnancy. (Not body builder shape, mind you...just staying fit with the help of a special pregnancy fitness trainer.) But she's finding it hard to be, as she calls it, "selfish" - taking time just for herself, away from her family, to do something that she wants to do. Sure, it's good for her. But I suppose she feels guilty putting herself first.

Maybe you, too, feel guilty doing something to promote your own health and wellness. Maybe it's hard to find time to take care of "you" when you're always taking care of everyone else. Maybe it feels wrong to do something for yourself for a change. Maybe it appears selfish to put yourself first, but maybe it's the best thing you could ever do for yourself, too. Getting in shape, cutting back on foods or drink, or creating goals for yourself that will better your health and your relationships isn't selfish -it's smart. It's courageous. And it's time.

Feel free to email me with your healthy goals, resolutions, or reassessments for 2010. I'd love to hear all of the "selfish", good things you'll be doing in the coming year!

Comments

Popular Posts