The lupus drug of choice: Plaquenil Guidelines Revisted

As a follow up to my recent post about my visit to the opthomalgist for an ERG, I thought I'd offer a link to the revised guidelines for Plaquenil toxicity (i.e. when and how plaquenil can adversely affect the eyes). The link was provided by a faithful reader in the comments, so thanks so much for sharing, D!

When I went in for my ERG, my doctor, who I knew was on the cutting edge of Plaquenil toxicity, mentioned that he'd taken part in revising the guidelines, but it was fun to see his name mentioned in the credits of the official document. My eyes, particularly my retinas, feel extra special now!

In addition, here's a link to another article touching on the subject of how much plaquenil we should be taking to decrease the chances of ocular side effects.

If you do take a moment to read the guidelines, please be sure to discuss any concerns or questions with your doctor. The revised guidelines do suggest that the standard dosing of plaquenil may be too high, but it's imperative that you work with your doctor to determine what's best for you. Every lupus patient is different, and we must work WITH our doctors, not against them!

Thus, before making any changes to your medication regimen, please discuss with your doctor.


Comments

Popular Posts