Cellcept: Trading 9 drugs for 1 seems like a good deal to me!

There's been a lot of talk about Cellcept in a few Facebook groups lately. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, of course. But if you know anything about my story,  you know I am a big fan of Cellcept. It was a big turning point in my life with lupus, as it managed my flares when nothing else would. I am so happy I gave it a chance!


It's no easy feat to start a new drug. There's apprehension about the short term side effects, the long term consequences,  as well as whether the drug will even accomplish what you want it to. You can read about my experiences with Cellcept here, read about deciding to start a new drug here, or read about my deliberations specific to starting Cellcept here. 

One thing I've never tallied up for myself is how many drugs I have been able to eliminate because of Cellcept.  By my count, it's nine drugs, and counting.  That's nine prescriptions to manage, nine copays, nine possibilities for side effects, nine opportunities for complications or contradictions,  and nine++ pills that don't have to clutter my Pillfold

So here's a quick list of what I've been able to eliminate, either directly or indirectly, since I started Cellcept:

STEROID

1) Prednisone (do I really need to list anything else??)


2) Zantac 
3) Zyrtec 

NSAIDS (Non Steroidal Anti Inflammatory Drugs)

4) Mobic
5) Bextra

BONE SPARING AGENT

6) Fosamax

PAIN MEDICATION 

7) Endocet
8) Daily Tylenol

ANTIBIOTICS  (When Cellcept was first used to treat lupus, it was thought that an antibiotic was needed in conjunction with the immunosuppression of Cellcept.  That is no longer the case, thank goodness, and my doctor took me off Bactrim as soon as that changed.) 

9) Bactrim

There you go. A list worthy of my ringing endorsement for Cellcept. And that's without counting any of the positive emotional effects or symptom reprieve I've experienced from Cellcept!!

Comments

Popular Posts