Day #20: Healthy Deed of the Day - Restarting Baby Aspirin for Lupus


It doesn't look like much, does it? But this tiny, over-the-counter (OTC) pill is supposedly doing wonders for me!

The above pill is a low-dose aspirin, often know as baby aspirin. At 81 mg per pill, my doctor prescribed one per day years ago, when I tested positive for anti-phospholipid antibodies.  These are the antibodies that can cause clotting, as well as miscarriages for those trying to become pregnant.

Many lupus patients are prescribed one low-dose aspirin a day, and you can read about that here and here. Of course, this is always after working closely with their doctor to determine the right course of treatment. As we know, every lupus patient is different!

I have been on 81 mg/day for years, but earlier last fall, my OTC supply ran out. I made a note to add it to my grocery/drugstore list, but I just kept forgetting. Even when I did remember while out shopping,  it never seemed important enough to stop for.

Until now. I decided it was time to stop messing with doctor's orders, and restart taking this tiny, little pill.

So - as today's Healthy Deed of the Day, I am following doctor's orders, down to the last little detail.

How about you?

Any directives or "shoulds" from the doctor that need to be revisited? If I can motivate, you can to!

Note: You can have lupus with antiphospholipid syndrome (APS),  and you can have APS without having lupus. Here's a great article from Hospital for Special Surgery that touches on this. 

Comments

Popular Posts