Putting "Lupus" on the map...literally!

Thanks to the Hibbs Lupus Trust, a charitable lupus group based in the UK, I feel like I can mark "Lupus Geography 101" off my list. Did you know there's a street in London called "Lupus Street"? Below, you'll see the image of it on Google Maps. From what I can tell, Raynauds Avenue and Sjogrens Court are not cross streets. But I suppose that would be a bit much, right?



And believe it or not, there's also a "Lupus Way" about 200 miles from "Lupus Street". The image of that is below.




So how did I come to find out about these streets whose names are oh-so-close-to-my heart? Via John Hibbs, one of the Founders and Trustees of the Hibbs Lupus Trust. He cycled the 200 miles from Lupus Way in Ellesmere Port all the way to Lupus Street in London, in order to raise awareness and funds for lupus. Now that is dedication!

You can read about it here and see pics here, but let me tell you a little bit about the Hibbs Lupus Trust. This charitable group was established in 2011 by the Hibbs Family, in honor of Viki Hibbs who was diagnosed with lupus at the age of 25, another founder and trustee of the Trust. The team of volunteers who donate their time to the Trust are dedicated to providing information and support to people affected by lupus. They have an FB online presence, have an established support group meeting schedule, offer an information advice line, and even have athletic challenges designed for those who want a way to raise money for lupus. They are doing all they can to spread awareness. From across the pond, I send kudos your way!

So the next time I feel like the street I live should be called Lupus Lane, because of lupus' frequent visits (all of which are unwelcome), I'll remind myself that the next time I'm in London, I'm going to take a picture of myself on the real Lupus Street. And that indeed will be a joyous occasion. If I'm traveling abroad, it will be a sign that my disease activity has quieted and I'm back in business. Something to work toward for sure!

Comments

Popular Posts