Hanging my "Help Wanted" sign...where people can see it.

A few days ago, my fabulous 17-year old babysitter kindly offered to help me with my move. She said she could pack boxes, watch the kids, or whatever we needed her to do. She said she was happy to assist.

How considerate of her, right? Of course, I responded as I always do when people offer to help: "Oh, that is so nice of you. Let me figure out if I need any help and I'll be sure to let you know. I really appreciate the offer."

At least, that's what I say.

But here's what I'm thinking:

"Oh, that is so nice of you. I usually don't accept help because I insist on doing everything myself. I'd rather run myself into the ground than allow myself to feel indebted to someone else. But thanks a lot for offering."

Call it pride, stubbornness, or an instinctive fear of looking weak and vulnerable, I find it very difficult to accept help. If I think I should be able to do something on my own, I do everything I can to make sure I, alone, finish the job.

But in preparing for this move, while attempting to finish up the renovation, run my business and blog, manage two kids, a dog, and the household, I'm coming up a little short on time and energy.

So I'm going to do what I would normally NEVER do...and that is accept the help that is offered to me willingly and without guilt. Ugh. What a task!

I'll start with my babysitter, but promise not to stop there. In fact, we're taking my in-laws up on their offer to come down the day of the move and help out. When they first offered, I gave my typical "That's so nice of you" answer, but immediately dismissed the thought because of that unwillingness I referenced above. But as the weeks have progressed, I've decided to start acting responsibly, and choosing wisely. I told Johnny I think it would be a wonderful idea to have them come down, and thankfully, they're still game. Having them here will be such a relief, the girls will love it, and I'll love it. I just had to get over myself before I could say "yes."

So here's to the beginning of a new era in the help department. May my "Help wanted" flag fly high and proud!




Comments

jenji said…
Ugh.

I totally get it. I finally had to give in and accept help with my recent move as well. It's such a monumental task that I don't think I would have made it without help. And still I was forced into a flare and falling on my face for weeks afterwards bc no matter my level of activity, my body continues to remind me that even minimal activity is pushing it.

Good luck,
jenji
Sara Gorman said…
Jenji - Thanks for identifying! As you may have read, my move, despite the help I rec'd, put me into a mini flare, too. I hope you've been able to recoup. As I continue my slow climb back to a normal level of activity, I'll be thinking of you!!

Popular Posts