Making living well with lupus happen - the reality of my efforts

My stomach. It's back. Or should I say, bathing suit weather is back. Thus, my stomach has more exposure than it's had in months, and it's definitely looming larger than I'd like.

Trouble is - I convince myself that I shouldn't have to work hard to make it look good. I run several times a week, and I watch what I eat. Isn't that enough?

The answer, of course, is no. If you want something, most often, you have to work at it. And usually, it requires a little sacrifice.

It's the same answer I get every time I try and re-assess what it takes to live well, despite lupus:

After 11 1/2 years, can't I get away with a little less sleep at night?

Answer: Nope.

After being good ALL week long, can't I just go crazy on a Saturday afternoon - skipping my nap to run errands or shop all afternoon?

Answer: Not really.

After keeping my stress level to a minimum for months on end, can't I just let loose for once, working myself silly for three days to finally accomplish everything on my list?

Answer: Don't think so.

Now, the actual answer to the above questions is this - "Sure you can - but it will cost you." But after 11 1/2 years with lupus, I know that the price I would pay is not a good value for the wreckage left behind.

The fact of the matter is that I have to work hard at living with lupus. I have to sacrifice here and there. And I can't expect it to happen magically on its own.

And, much to my dismay, the same goes for my stomach. The crunches must come, and the sweets must go.

Darn. I was hoping that things might be different this summer.






Comments

Glynis said…
Wow, I think it's juat ainply amazing that you run several times a week. I'm 32 years old. Living with Lupus for 21 yrs now. Never been able to be off Prednisone and with two hip replacements and other joints with AVN, exercice is limited, running, wow, good for you.
Sara Gorman said…
Oh, man. That Prednisone can take its toll on the bones, can't it? It surely will be a great day when we have a good alternative to that drug. I know I might not be able to jog forever...but I certainly appreciate the days I can! Thanks so much for commenting!

Popular Posts