Evil under the sun: true lupus envy

I got a good dose of lupus envy about a week ago. Our 12-year station wagon needed a tune up, and the dealership kindly gave us a loaner while the car was in the shop. Check out the sweet ride they let us  borrow:


Now, normally, the cars the dealership lends us don't pull at my heartstrings (or is that purse strings)? But this car was a blast. The girls and I had such fun driving around town in our convertible loaner. Yes, the sun was shining down on all of us, but our trips were limited, and we all wore protective eye-wear. Plenty of sunscreen came along for the ride, too.

Basking in the sun (even for just a few short days) immediately brought me back to my pre-lupus days. One of the first cars I had after college was a white VW Cabrio, complete with a convertible top. I loved that car - and had plans to keep it for a long time - but then I was diagnosed with lupus. My sun-filled commutes to the office, joy rides on weekends, and every sunny trip in between had to come to an end. I sold the car, and moved on to the next phase of my life, which included tinted windows, long sleeves, and umbrellas.

But this recent trip down memory lane was fun. The car was super cool and very fun to drive, and our family of four enjoyed pulling up to our regular hangouts in a brand, spanking new convertible. And I have to admit, I would have accepted that car in a heartbeat. But, given the fact that I've spent the last 11 1/2 years trying to avoid the sun as much as possible - I think I'm going to have to pass for now.

Oh well. At least we have pictures to prove how super cool we really are, don't we girls?


Comments

Popular Posts