Lupus protein falling...the Cozaar is working!

If you've been following along, you know that I've seen my fair share of 24-hour urine tests over the past few months. Seems that I've been spilling protein, a sign that lupus is afoot in my kidneys. Good news is that I am still showing no other signs of lupus activity - no joint pain, swelling, or increased fatigue (my three telltale signs for active lupus) - and my blood tests haven't seen any changes at all. That was the good news.

But now, after a handful of 24-hour urninalyses, and the addition of the hypertension medication Cozaar to my regimen, which is often prescribed to reduce the presence of protein and protect against further kidney damage, I have REALLY good news to report: the level of protein in my urine is normal. Yippee!!

Normal, that is, for a lupus patient. I still have protein, and if anyone other than my rheumatologist were to come across the test results, there would be red flags raised all over the place. But that goes with the territory, right? (We lupus peeps just throw everybody for a loop, don't we?)

So onward and upward. I'll continue to take my medication as prescribed, and I vow not to get too cocky about my oh-so-low protein level. You know how it goes - you hear from the doctor that your health looks good, so you feel compelled to push a little harder, sleep a little less, and do a little more since you're feeling so good. Since I received the good news with the good number - I've been inching my bedtime back ever so slowly. I'm juggling a couple of major projects right now - and while I'm thoroughly enjoying myself - I have to make sure I don't fall back into my old tendencies of pushing, pushing, pushing to get things done. There's only so much time in the day - and all of my projects and their associated to-do lists will still be there in the morning.

At least that's what I tell myself. Every morning this week, those lists have been right where I left them the night before. But I'm still skeptical!

Comments

Ruth said…
This is great news, Sara. Stay well, you are a great inspiration to all us lupies who are learning to live as well as possible with our illness.
Sara Gorman said…
Thanks so much, Ruth! Hope you're doing well - if you keep resting, I'll keep resting - how about that? :)
Anonymous said…
Hi sara
I am going through something similar myself. I was wondering if you wouldn't mind sharing what were your "high" and "normal" levels of protein. At what levels does your doc get worried? Also have you found the BP medicine to continue helping you keep those levels low?

Popular Posts