The doctor is in

It's pretty obvious that I don't mind sharing my opinion. That's what blogs are all about, right?! So when it comes to giving my opinion about symptoms, medication, or other issues related to lupus, I'm the first one to offer up my two cents. But I rarely dole out medical advice without suggesting that a doctor be consulted at the same time. I'm happy to share my experiences, but consulting your doctor is paramount to making sure you and your disease get the best treatment possible.

That said, I remember a time not so long ago when people suggested to me that I "consult my doctor", and the thought made me cringe. Sometimes I just didn't want to hear what my doctor had to say - because whatever it was, it seemed to result in more tests, prescriptions, or limitations. But there were also times when my face would light up when someone suggested I "consult my doctor" - the thought of getting answers to my questions, the prospect of alleviating my pain, and the end of my frustrations often resulted from a visit to my doctor, and during those appointments, there wasn't any place I'd rather be.

Today, I rarely cringe from the thought of a doctor's appointment - although I recently had an appointment with my opthamologist that left me a little uneasy. I had a visual field test (to check my eyes to make sure the plaquenil hasn't had any adverse effects on my retina), and I'm not sure what the results will be. The test seemed to take longer than normal, which may mean that there's been a slight change in my eyesight. I'll keep you posted, but in the meantime - take a look at the poll on the right side of my blog - and tell me how you're feeling about the phrase "consult your doctor" today. Does it make you cringe? Does it bring you relief? Does it bring you a great deal of satisfaction because you're making the kind of progress you want, or does it give you a feeling of despair because you're not getting the results you need?

Let me know -and thanks for playing!

Comments

Popular Posts