Doing the RIGHT thing

Piggybacking on Wednesday's post, I read a quote recently that my girlfriend posted on her LinkedIn profile. It stuck with me, and is just too perfect not to share, given that I was just talking about the benefits of getting out of bad habits and getting back on track. Here it is:

"If you don't have time to do it right, when are you going to have time to do it over?"

This is true in so many respects - with lupus, with kids, in life in general. We only get one shot at this whole thing - why waste time trying to cut corners, push the envelope, or "get away with something" when there's a chance we'll just have to pay for it in the long run? I'm all for making the most of my life, despite lupus, but when it comes to some of the essentials like getting rest, taking my meds, or seeking treatment when I know my body is in distress, why mess around? With two little girls at home, I won't have a chance to "do" their first years over again. So every day, I have to do what I need to in order to be alive and well, for them. I was just elaborating on this point in a Shelfari discussion of my book: Whatever it takes to do this lupus thing right, I need to do it. If I don't seize the opportunity this first time around, lupus might not give me a second chance!

Comments

HealingWell said…
Such a great reminder for all of us. Thanks!

Popular Posts